We have all been to them; those blah weddings that even several bottles of alcohol can't get you through and you find yourself thinking, I am never doing that when I get married...;OMG! What were they thinking?...She's lucky we are cousins but if that drunk groomsman tries to talk to me one more time....;Well, here are some tips on how to get away from cheesy to inspired & fun. Weddings don't always have to be blah, and while you can't always control what the drunken groomsmen do, these are 8 things that you DO have control over.
1.the Wedding Announcement...push your creativity with the wedding announcement. It sets the tone for the wedding. If the announcement is fun, it tells your guests they are in for a fun event. So, no more, portrait pictures with dates...that era is over. Do something whimsical and give your guests something to look forward to. You want them to say...I can't wait to be at your wedding
2. the Music...you already know what we are going to say here. The music sets the mood for the party. If you have a crappy DJ or Band, you will have a crappy wedding, period!!! There are no ifs or buts here, and there is no getting around it. The DJ or Band has to be jamming. You have to make sure you know what kind of music you and your guests will enjoy. Don't leave the music selection solely to the DJ or band...you may end up regretting it if he doesn't play anything you expect. This is a time for your groom to shine, especially if he loves music. Put the groom in charge of the music and have him help the DJ to pick out some of your favorites and mix it up with current hits as well as some old time jams. That's how the party gets popping.
3. the Guest List...here is a novel concept. Don't invite anyone that isn't your friend. If you haven't spoken to them since high school, if they are a friend of a friend...a friend's cousin...a cousin twice removed...the answer is NO! Celebrate your day with your close friends and family. It makes your event even more special because you are truly surrounded by your loved ones. What's the point in paying for dinner for someone you don't even like anymore or worse, don't even remember? Live your life, people!!!
4. the Destination...have a destination wedding, get married on a yacht, in front of a waterfall, in a garden, on the beach....get married at a place you absolutely love. Remember, you have to live with the pictures for the rest of your life, so make sure it's memorable. We have a beautiful world with so much to offer when it comes to natural beauty. Why not take advantage of it? Oh and by the way, you don't have to travel very far from where you are to find a gorgeous destination. It's all around you. Take a minute and smell the roses, open your eyes to what is around you...you can never go wrong if you go with what mother nature has already provided.
5. the Cake...there are few things that can be works of art at your reception. The cake is one of them. If you can splurge, work with your baker to design a one of a kind piece.Include elements that are meaningful to you as a couple. Let's say you met on a plane ride to London. Why not have an element that reminds you of planes or London? It's a love story...you can't do better than to tell the story on a beautiful, yummy cake.
6. the Dress...you know how they say, you will know when you find the dress? This is true. The right dress will make you feel like you can conquer to world. So, when you shop around for dresses, keep an open mind. Know what your style is and what silhouette is the most flattering for your shape. You want to feel like a million bucks on your special day. Try on as many dresses as it takes to find the right one, and when you find it, It will make your eyes well up with tears; you will have goose bumps; you will have to goofiest smile on your face and that's when you know you have found the dress.
7. the Favors...no keychains, pens or handkerchiefs. A memorable favor is one that lasts for more than a few days. A keepsake that is thoughtful and reminds your guests of your special day each and every time they look at it. Consider a miniature cactus plant. They are low maintenance and will be there for more than 1 week. You can customize the pot and they get to keep a cute little plant for a very very long time. Plus, its great for the environment if we have 1 less plastic cup or pen. Or you can have your guests make a donation to a cause you believe in. What a wonderful way to start your new life, by giving back. So put a little more thought in the favors and they will go a long way to keep you in your guests thoughts.
8. the Details...you have heard it before...the devil is in the details. This is so true. Your wedding is a day of personal expression. It's a day of doing whatever you want to do, so what's with the boring decor...balloons, flowers, and candles. That stuff is everywhere and in everyone's wedding. For your wedding to be unforgettable, you must pay attention to the details and introduce elements into the day that tells your story in a way that your guests have never experienced before. Don't forget to include your groom in the decision-making. One of the biggest misconception about weddings is the grooms don't care about the wedding. Au contraire they do care and can have a lot of input. So, make sure you don't neglect to involve them in planning the details. Your guest are there to share in your love, so go all out in letting them see, feel and touch it. We promise they will be oohing and ahhing over every unique detail and talking about your wedding many more years to come.